Sunday, February 22, 2009

Inconsistency

I am consistently inconsistent.  Key example: Blogging.  Also, I like to drink hot tea, but I probably only fix myself a cup twice a month.  I enjoy cooking for my family, but I usually only do it a few times a week.  I enjoy a clean house, but I am horribly inconsistent in my cleaning.  I have a plan for diet and exercise, but I fail to stick to it regularly--even though I also have a plan for helping myself be consistent.  I long to be closer to Christ, but I am inconsistent in my quiet times.

It seems that one of the only things I'm consistent in is my inconsistency.  This bothers me about myself.  I want to be steady, dependable, and sure.  I want to be steadfast and unyielding in the things that are important to me.  

I wonder, sometimes, if my inconsistency is really a reflection of misaligned priorities.  What do I consistently do?  Read blogs.  Take a nap in the evening before going to bed.  Watch a litany of television shows.  Things that do what for me?  Fill my mind?  Take up my time?

Yet I serve a God who is eternal in his consistency.  From the beginning of time, he told his people that he was sending a savior--His Son--for rescue.  He is consistent in his love, in his forgiveness, in his promises.  His yes is yes, and his no is no.  He is perfectly consistent.

My hope, and my prayer, is that consistency will come.  That my repeated efforts, along with his abounding grace, will combine to form in me the steadfastness that I so wish that I had.


(p.s. bonus points if you add up the number of times the root word "consistent" shows up in this post.)

No comments: